Shame!   3 comments

About three years ago the remote control handset for my satellite decoder started acting up. I fitted new batteries and pressed the buttons harder but it didn’t make any difference so naturally, being me, I took it to bits. After a few minutes examining everything it seemed to me that the rubber buttons that you push have a carbonised rubber tip which touches two contacts on a printed circuit board and makes a connection. The carbonised rubber was worn and cracked on some of the buttons causing the connection not to be made. Ok I thought, I can glue some tinfoil on the business end of these buttons and it will work again. So I did and it did and everything was sweetness and light in my house…..until last week.

The remote control stopped controlling, anywhere from remote to very very close. I went to town to see about getting a new one. It was seven years old and an unusual model (of course it bloody was!!) so I could not get a new one.  Universal remotes don’t work with my “unusual model” decoder. I had to buy a new decoder complete with remote control. So I did. Yesterday.

So in the evening I sat down with a glass of wine and the user handbook (in Turkish) and the new remote controller to see about setting it up. It’s only a new piece of electronics and my Turkish is ok, not fluent but I have a dictionary. How hard can it be?

This afternoon the man from the shop came and put the decoder card in the right way up!!!!!!!!

Oh the shame!!!



Posted November 15, 2011 by cukurbagli in Uncategorized

3 responses to “Shame!

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Love it! How to complicate life in one easy lesson 🙂

  2. Yup, been there, done that, you are quite a guy to admit your “shame.” 🙂 I like your banner photo, good stuff, my only complaint is that you do not write more often…

  3. Well I can’t really have a disapproving view of folk that don’t admit their faults and shame if I don’t do it myself can I. Besides I thought it was so funny and a big laugh at me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: